As I look back on the early years of this endeavor, say 2008 thru 2010, I think of all the times I worried if I’d even celebrate Year 2 or Year 3 on my own in this business. That was a brutal time for commercial real estate professionals and it took out many people a lot brighter and stronger than me. I like to think I hung in there because it’s simply in my blood….but it’s more likely because I’m stubborn and hate to admit failure and really don’t know how to do anything else!
As I reflect further, I gratefully acknowledge all those who have contributed to this firm’s success and look ahead to building upon the lasting relationships created over the past decade. Clients, colleagues, friends and family have all played major roles in this achievement and I hope we have played even a bit part in your successes as well.
And with time, perseverance, success (and failure) comes wisdom. Here are 10 things that I’ve learned over these last 10 years with Sterling Properties Group….
- Integrity and honesty still count, more than almost anything.
- Be yourself and don’t apologize for authenticity.
- Keep learning your craft and invest in yourself.
- Get help with certain tasks… there are people who literally love to do what you hate to do.
- Clients don’t expect you to know everything, but you do need to know where to find answers and not be afraid to ask.
- Get a coach or mentor. There’s not enough time in this life to learn from all your own mistakes.
- Business can be fun….especially if you choose the right partners and clients.
- You may be self-employed, but you still have many bosses.
- Sleep comes more easily if you worked hard and gave it your all that day.
- Take an active role in your health and well-being. You need your mind and body to last a long time!
- I couldn’t have made it 1-month much less 10-years without the unconditional love and support of my wife and my family. This is all for you!
So, thank you for taking an interest in reading this—my first blog post ever. I am looking forward to the next decade of Sterling Properties Group, Inc. and all the excitement it will undoubtedly bring.
If we can ever be of service with any of your commercial real estate needs, we’d be pleased to help, so don’t hesitate to reach out any time!